Gu Zheng (Advanced III)
*Only open for existing students
Date: 2 Jan 2023 – 9 Apr 2024
Time: 7.30PM – 9.30PM
Course Day: Tuesday
Location: Jing Si Hall (9 Elias Road, Singapore 519937)
Number of Sessions: 15 sessions
Registration Closing Date: 2 Jan 2023
Class Size: 20
Guzheng is a prominent stringed Chinese musical instrument that has been around for more than 2,500 years. It delivers intrinsically beautiful and elegant sounds. This course covers basic fingering skils and hand coordination as well as the functions of the different parts of a guzheng. Students are coached and guided till they reach performance standard. Learning to play a guzheng helps to cultivate a refined mind and character.
We invite you to join the class and experience the moving sounds of guzheng, while learning to play Chinese classical music on the instrument.
*Note: Gu Zheng (Advanced III) is only open for existing students
Mr Thum Soon Boon
Mr Thum is currently the director and conductor of the Guzheng ensembles in Paya Lebar Methodist Girls’ Secondary School and Xinmin Secondary School, and has held many Guzheng workshops, seminars and performances. He was the Gold Award winner of the 1989 National Music Competition (Open Category) and the second runner-up of “ART Cup” Chinese Musical Instrument Competition. In 1995, he led groups of students on performance tours to Beijing, Nanjing and Jakarta. In 2012, he led the Guzheng Ensemble of Paya Lebar Methodist Girls’ School to the United Kingdom to perform at the Harrogate Youth International Festival of Music and Performing Arts.
- All course fees are inclusive of GST.
- Please note that payments for courses are non-refundable except when the Centre cancels the class due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Courses held in the evening are only open to those aged 18 and above. Younger students who have not reached the minimum age will not be accepted unless accompanied by a parent.
- The course fees do not cover the teaching materials and insurance for off-campus lessons (if any).
- The Centre will send a course-related notice to students through WhatsApp or email before the commencement of classes. Please notify the Centre if you did not receive any message one week before the commencement date.
- Please arrive at the classroom at least 10 minutes before the session.
- Children, guest students or sit-in observers and recordings are NOT allowed in all classes for the purpose of maintaining lesson quality and as a show of respect for the teachers and other students.
- If the lesson falls on a public holiday, it will be postponed to the following week. The Centre reserves the right to make any adjustments to the class schedules.